WordPress by nature is a blogging platform and on a fresh install, it will show recent posts automatically on homepage.
If you are a blogger then this might be what you want but if you are running a business website and wants to change that “blog” feel of your website then you need to change the settings for WordPress default front page.
This is also true when you want to keep front page and blog separate by adding a blog link in WordPress main menu.
Before changing WordPress front page, you need to create a new page which will be your static front page.
- From your dashboard go to Pages > Add New.
- Create a page with all the text and images to look like a front page. Publish the new page.
You have created the page but WordPress don’t know anything about it. Let’s feed it as a static front page.
- From dashboard go to Settings > Reading.
- Under Front page displays, choose the option A static page. Select the page you created previously.
Static Front page using Theme Options
Another way to make WordPress front page static is by changing settings from Appearance tab.
- From your dashboard, go to Appearance > Customize.
- Select the Static Front Page menu item (second from down) and select the page you have created earlier. It will effectively change your front page to a static page.
Add Blog Posts to Static Front page
You can show your posts in a page using a plugin WP Latest Posts
- Install and activate the plugin. See our article how to install a plugin in WordPress for more details.
- From your page visual editor, click the button Add Latest Post.
See a video below for more clarification to add posts in a page using WP Latest posts plugin.
You can disable comments on front page. Click Screen Options at the top and simply uncheck the option Discussion which will remove comments functionality on front end.
Adding a static front page to your website is a great way to customize your website look and feel. We have tried our best to cover everything related to static front page settings in WordPress.