Adding or deleting user accounts in WordPress is a very basic task but it is the most important step you need to master once you install a new WordPress site.
In this tutorial, we will see how to add new users to WordPress and delete old users to keep your WordPress site healthy and fresh.
Managing User Accounts in WordPress
Believe it or not! You have to start managing user accounts in WordPress as soon as you install WordPress. This is also true when you want to update default administrator account (with username admin) which is already a big reason for hacking WordPress sites.
Luckily, WordPress comes with a built-in user management panel where you can add new users with various roles. Be it administrators, authors, contributors or subscribers, you can manage all of them from one place.
From your WordPress dashboard, go to Users > All Users to manage all users.
We will discuss more on this later in the tutorial.
How to Add a New User in WordPress?
Creating a new user in WordPress involves two steps:
- Adding user details.
- Assigning a role
Adding user details include adding username, email, password and related information. User roles in WordPress comes with different level of responisiblities assigned to each user. See WordPress User Roles for more information.
You must be an administrator to create new users.Woopoo's Caution
- From your WordPress dashboard, go to Users > Add New to create a new user.
- Fill in Username and Email as these are the required fields. Also, you will not be able to change Username later on.
- Choose a strong password for the new user account. See our article creating strong passwords easy to remember for more details.
- Under Role settings, choose a user role. Available options include Subscriber, Contributor, Author, Editor, and Administrator.
- Press Add New User button.
- If you have enabled Send User Notification checkbox, the user will soon receive an email about his/her login details.
How to Edit or Delete a User account in WordPress?
As we have discussed before, all users in WordPress can be managed from one place.
- From your dashboard, go to Users > All Users to see a list of all users of your site.
- Once you hover your mouse over a user, three options will appear: Edit, Delete or View.
- Choose any of the options for the respective action. For example, clicking Delete will delete the user.
Bulk Delete Users in WordPress
If there are too many users to delete manually one by one then you can bulk delete users with only one click. Let’s see how to do it.
- From your admin dashboard, go to Users > All Users
- Select all the user accounts you want to delete by enabling the checkbox for each user.
- Under Bulk Actions, select Delete.
- Press Apply button.
You can delete 20 users at a time. To maximize this number, click Screen Options at top-right corner and change Number of items per page under Pagination.
Using the tips above, feel free to manage users list for your WordPress blog.
It is always a good idea to delete old or unused user accounts.Woopoo's Good Practice
- Absolutely IMPORTANT settings to do after installing WordPress
- 10 Important Plugins for a new WordPress site
- WordPress User Roles
We hope this article will let you easily manage your WordPress user accounts. Try adding and deleting users and don’t forget to try bulk delete users option as well.